Are you a fan of escape rooms, and happen to live in the Jacksonville area? If so, you are in luck. Even through the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, escape room offerings have been popping up and thriving all over the city over the past few years. One of those unique offerings is The Great Escape Room, a wonderful option close to FSCJ’s South Campus.
With over a dozen locations scattered throughout the southeast, northeast, and midwestern United States, The Great Escape Room has some offerings that you won’t find at competing locales in the area.
Read on for some tips and tricks to escape room success, an overview of the room offerings at The Great Escape Room Jacksonville, and our recommendations and reviews where applicable. Rest assured, this is the most comprehensive escape room resource in the city.
Additional Escape Room Resources
- How Hard Are Escape Rooms? Tips for Success In 2020
- The Psychology of Escape Room Ideas: What To Expect
- Escape Room For Two: Escape Rooms and Relationship Building
- The Abridged History of Escape Rooms
- Different Codes and Locks Found in Jacksonville Escape Rooms
First off, what are escape rooms?
In the 2010’s, escape rooms rose to quick prominence on a global scale, especially in North America, Europe, and East Asia. Escape rooms, or escape games, are immersive games in which a group of players solve riddles, interpret hints, and perform duties and tasks in one or more rooms. This is done in a coordinated way that requires intense teamwork to achieve particular objectives in a short period of time.
The goal is typically to “escape” a room in a specified period of time. For most escape rooms, a clock in the room ticks down the amount of time remaining before you win or lose, escape or remain in the room for eternity (just kidding).
For a deeper dive into what escape rooms are and how they function, please see our guide Explaining “What Is An Escape Room” To Others.
The many benefits associated with escape rooms
Escape room trends have expanded exponentially since the first real escape rooms were introduced in Japan several years back. Playing escape rooms is an incredible team, learning, and problem-solving experience, allowing participants to immerse themselves in one of the most enthralling experiences available in a single, simple hour.
Escape games are more than just exciting (and anxiety-inducing, and of course sometimes frustrating), they also assist in establishing abilities in problem-solving and team collaboration. There are numerous benefits to escape rooms, including but not limited to:
- Supporting the development of improving cognitive skills. Motor control abilities include things such as hand-eye coordination and spatial recognition, both of which are heavily put to the test in the escape room environment.
- Escape rooms encourage the collaboration with other people (sometimes strangers), improving interaction and communication skills. More effective interaction lead to stronger and faster solutions, and ultimately escape game success.
About The Great Escape Game Franchise
The Great Escape Room company was one of the pioneers of the escape game craze that has exploded worldwide. The owners (Nelson, Scott, and Howard) started this business in 2015, beginning as a small family venture and quickly expanding to now twelve locations throughout the United States.
With this, they developed a new entertainment genre, setting the framework for thousands and thousands of like-minded escape game offerings to follow.
The dream of the owners was to develop a 3D, immersive experience where participants hear, see, and live the puzzles and clues that the adventure-minded crave. These puzzles require lateral thinking, as well as teamwork, collaboration, critical thinking skills, and a lack of fear of the unknown.
Audiences of many, adventures for all
The Great Escape Room Jacksonville is a perfect experience for birthday parties, team-building exercises, nights on the town with friends, or a surprise weekend adventure for families. Additionally, the unique structures of the rooms at the Great Escape Room make them ideal for larger groups, ensuring there are no breakaways unable to contribute or feeling left out.
Finally, at the Great Escape Room Jacksonville, new rooms and ideas are constantly in motion, and new rooms are being introduced regularly to ensure no experience is the same. But what kinds of rooms does this place offer? Read on to find out!
Rooms at The Great Escape Room Jacksonville
There are currently (as of November 2020) four rooms at The Great Escape Room Jacksonville. Two are touted as standard escape rooms: Dr. Watson’s Infirmary and The President’s Bunker. Two others are considered scavenger hunt rooms: Sherlock Holmes’ Library and Professor Moriarty’s Gameroom. All four of these rooms have a 60-minute time limit.
Dr. Watson’s Infirmary (Escape Room)
In Dr. Watson’s Infirmary, you and your group has been invited to become a part of an elite team of observers for one of the newest pieces of medical science, created by our very own Dr. Watson. He devised an amazing medical machine that automatically performs open-heart surgery. In this room, you will be one of the very first to see the machine in action. However, as you enter pre-op, something goes horrifically awry.
A deadly and dangerous virus was released, and now you are sealed inside the operating room with the machine, but without Dr. Watson present. Luckily, Dr. Watson prepared the operating room in case something like this occurred. However, you and your group will need to follow the clues left in the operating room to activate the machine and perform the procedure successfully. Time has started ticking. Will you be able to save the patient before the clock runs out?
- Scavenger Level: 2/5, gameplay in Dr. Watson’s Infirmary involves minimal scavenger-hunting work, instead requiring more deductive problem-solving skills, like standard escape rooms.
- Puzzle Level: 5/5, gameplay in Dr. Watson’s Infirmary involves extensive puzzles and problem-solving. You and your team will need your thinking caps to survive in this room and escape in the allotted 60 minutes.
- Escape Success Rate: 39%
- Room Capacity: Our Dr. Watson’s Infirmary escape room is suitable for groups of up to ten participants in public games, or 15 participants in private games.
The President’s Bunker (Escape Room)
- Scavenger Level: 2/5, gameplay in The President’s Bunker involves minimal scavenger-hunting work, instead requiring more deductive problem-solving skills, like standard escape rooms.
- Puzzle Level: 5/5, gameplay in The President’s Bunker involves extensive puzzles and problem-solving. You and your team will need your thinking caps to survive in this room and escape in the allotted 60 minutes.
- Escape Success Rate: 35%
- Room Capacity: Our The President’s Bunker escape room is suitable for groups of up to ten participants in public games, or 12 participants in private games.
While visiting Washington, D.C., you and your group have been invited to a special private tour of the White House. The last stop on the tour is the Presidential command bunker. In the event of a national emergency, the President and his staff would retreat to this bunker.
As you make your way through this last stop on your tour, the bunker suddenly goes into automatic lockdown and you are informed of an imminent attack on the United States. Now, it is just you and your fellow tour members locked in with no hope of outside help.
It is up to you to work together in a 60 minute, high-stakes race to prevent nuclear armageddon. Good luck – the whole world is counting on you!
Sherlock Holmes’ Library (Scavenger Hunt Room)
Professor Moriarty’s Gameroom (Scavenger Hunt Room)
Timings And Days Of The Great Escape Room Jacksonville
The Great Jacksonville Escape Room remains open for the public on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. The timings for these days are:
- Thursday: 9:00am-9:00pm
- Friday and Saturday: 12:00pm-11:00pm
- Sunday: 12:00pm-6:00pm
- Telephone: 904-203-8358
- Address: 11651 Central Pkwy #103, Jacksonville, FL 32224, United States.
Our Final Thoughts On The Great Escape Room
We have provided an overview of the great escape rooms and then, we discussed each room in detail. Each room is exceptional in its way and offers a thrilling experience. If you want to test your investigation skills and live the life of a detective for 60 minutes, The Great Jacksonville Escape rooms are your best option. Then, what are you waiting for? Book now and have the best time of your life!